Be extra cautious with fire today!


Nassau County is not under a burn ban-hopefully it won’t happen too soon. In our area the wildfire season is ready to get into high gear. Here is the wildfire info for today, February 4, 2013:

  • The Fire danger is still a 4, which means there is a Very high fire danger
  • The KBDI, which measures the amount of moisture in the soil remains very high-due to our lack or recent rainfall. (The lower the number the less likely the area is to see wildfires)The average KBDI in Nassau County is 535, the lowest being 438 and the highest being 594. 15% of the county is in the 400-500 range and the other 85% of the county is in the 500-600 range.
  • The KBDI for the Ratliff Community is between 500-600 with a very small portion of our primary coverage area being within the 500-549 range.
  • There is still a wildland fire (brush fire) burning in District 5-South of Mitigation Trail and West of US 301. The fire started on Saturday, February 2, 2013. You can view the exact location by viewing this map: FFS Active Wildfire Map

The Florida Forest Service will be issuing burn permits for broadcast and pile burns today.

Please remember that the ground fuels are very dry and they won’t need much convincing to ignite with even the smallest spark.

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s